Assignment 1: Selecting a Population Health Problem
As you know, promoting positive social change is a part of the Walden mission. To be an effective agent for social change, nurses must be able to logically and critically analyze population health issues using epidemiologic concepts, and then communicate insights in a succinct and professional manner. This exercise will afford you such an experience.
This week, you will complete Assignment 1 in preparation for Major Assessment 7, in which you will apply epidemiologic principles and develop an intervention for a health problem.
For this Assignment, you will examine a health problem of interest to you, and you will develop a brief paper (1–2 pages) outlining the significance of the health problem and describing it in terms of person, place, and time. This outline will help your Instructor determine if the topic you selected is appropriate for the Major Assessment paper.
Prepare for Assignment 1 as follows:
· Review the Major Assessment Overview.
· Determine a population health problem that is viable for completing this paper. You may use the problem you identified in the Week 1, 2, or Week 3 Discussion, or you may select a new one.
· Determine the characteristics of the health problem in terms of person, place, and time.
· Using the Walden Library and credible websites, conduct additional research on your selected population health problem. Consider the significance of this health problem.
· Examine how Healthy People 2020, listed in the Learning Resources, supports the importance of addressing your selected health problem.
· Develop a preliminary research question or hypothesis appropriate for your topic.
Write a 1.5 page paper that addresses the following:
· Describe the population health problem in terms of person, place, and time.
· From the primary research literature and Healthy People 2020, briefly explain the significance of this health problem.
· Include your preliminary research question or hypothesis.
By Day 7
Submit your 1.5-page paper in order to receive feedback on your topic