Week 3 Assignment 1
Chapter 7 of the course textbook examines theories of cognitive development during adolescence
and later adulthood. For this assignment, refer to the textbook and two peer-reviewed journal
articles to compare and contrast the theories and models of two cognitive theorists with respect
these stages of human development.
In your paper, account for or respond to the following:
1) Briefly summarize the main elements of each theorist’s analysis of cognitive
development during the transition from adolescence to early adulthood.
2) Compare and contrast the two approaches to this critical and difficult stage of
development, illustrating in what ways, and with respect to what issues, each
approach provides insights and/or exhibits shortcomings.
3) Compare and contrast cognitive development during adolescence versus early
adulthood, evaluating whether and to what extent one or the other stage is more or
less amenable to one of the two frameworks examined.
4) Be sure to integrate terms and research associated with major cognitive theories into
your analysis such as egocentrism, inductive reasoning, or fluid/crystalized
Your paper should be 1500 words in length and cite and integrate at least two peer-reviewed
Week 4 Assignment 2
Chapter 11 of the course textbook examines cultural aspects of moral development, Kohlberg’s
moral reasoning theory, and Gilligan’s alternative approach to Kohlberg.
Reflect on what you have read about the related issues of bullying in schools and teen suicide
and consider these materials in light of your experience with bullying, both as a child and, if
applicable, as a parent or adult observing this activity among school-age children.
Then locate and review one anti-bullying program with an Internet presence.
For this assignment, address the following items, being mindful of your emotional and
intellectual responses to bullying and the exercise of asymmetrical power among school-age
1) Summarize your thoughts and feelings about bullying and teen suicide as pathologies
of moral development in middle childhood.
2) Describe how Kohlberg’s model can be applied to bullying programs in schools.
3) Then explain Gilligan’s critique of, and alternative to, Kohlberg’s approach,
evaluating tensions between the two approaches and what each approach brings to an
analysis of bullying.
4) Compare and contrast the two approaches with respect to bullying behavior and
specifically to bullying behavior among girls versus boys. Do you believe different
theoretical tools are necessary to analyze female versus male cases? Why or why not?
5) Finally, evaluate how successfully the program you found on the Internet addresses
and accounts for and applies knowledge about moral development as theorized by
Kohlberg, Gilligan, and others. How do theories of moral development inform action
to prevent and treat the consequences of bullying?
Your paper should be 1500 words in length. Support your analysis and evaluation with
references to the textbook readings as well as to no fewer than two peer-reviewed, scholarly
sources that focus on the two theorists in question.