Reflective Journal about a patient encounter. In the 7th entry, you will review the previous 6 entries and evaluate your progress in reflective practice over the course of the term. Each journal should be a minimum of 250 words.
The purpose of this reflective journal is self-reflection regarding the role in the process of self-reflection as a PMHNP provider. Through reflective practice, the student will evaluate their own emotional health and recognize one’s own feelings as well as one’s ability to monitor and manage those feelings. The point of the exercise is to learn yourself, your triggers, the types of cases you end up getting overly involved with, and those you’d rather refer to someone else. The idea is to be able to personally reflect on your behaviors/thoughts/decisions and how those impact you in the role of PMHNP.
Address the following items:
1. What are your outpatient facility and state policies regarding an inpatient hold?
· Does the patient have to be suicidal/homicidal or are there other criteria to place someone on a hold?
· How long are these holds for your state and to have them extended what is required?
· Think about either your current place of employment or current clinical site.
2. What are some potential biases you may have with a patient making suicidal statements?
· If you have dealt with this, how did it go? If you have not yet, how do you think it will go?