In order to win Holiday, develop a strategy to deliver a compelling assortment and innovative omnichannel shopping experience throughout the entire season. As you consider your strategy, make sure to consider how to drive sales and traffic consistently through the season. Your strategy should effectively leverage sales channels (stores/.com/mobile) at various points throughout the season. Use the framework of the 4 Ps to brainstorm ideas for how you would approach this challenge as a buyer within one of Target’s Kids’ categories.
1. Product / Assortment: How should Target differentiate its assortment online and in stores? Would you offer channel-specific product exclusives? Why?
2. Price: How will your pricing strategy differ by channel, if at all? Determine a profitable pricing strategy for the entire season. When is it important to price aggressively?
3. Promotions: How will your promotional cadence vary throughout the season? How and when will you leverage stores/.com/mobile to drive your strategy? How will you deliver relevant promotions during the middle of December? How can you create an omni-channel promotional event and what is the best timing for this? What tools will you use or develop to support your promotions (think Cartwheel, Twitter, Wish List, Instagram, Facebook, etc.)?
4. Place / Supply Chain: How will you use Free Shipping, Store Pickup and Ship from Store to differentiate and drive your strategy?
Other Considerations for this Challenge:
• Product Categories: Kids’ categories span many product categories at Target. What categories should Target prioritize for Holiday? Are there certain categories that are more appropriate for stores or Target.com? Why? Pay special attention to categories where Target can differentiate itself from the competition. Are there certain Kids categories Target doesn’t carry that it should?
• Team: How should digital and store buyers approach decisions about assortment, pricing, and promotions? Remember, the guest demands consistency across channels. What other issues might you consider in planning with buyers in other departments and categories?
• Stores: Remember to consider store execution in how your strategies will be implemented. Are there risks you should consider? In what other ways can you use store team members to help drive an omni-channel Holiday strategy?
• Marketing: How should Target engage guests, and in what channels, to advance your Holiday strategy? Think of the many touch points guests have with the Target brand and consider which of these touch points is most impactful during the Holiday season. Also consider the channels where consumers are going to get gift ideas and inspiration. (Think print media, sites like Pinterest, and other mediums). If you would like to select a specific category within Kids, feel free to choose from the divisions below:
• Electronics: Mobile, TV/Audio, Portable Electronics, and Video Games • Toys: Dolls/Plush, Games/Action Figures/Diecast, Preschool/Seasonal • Entertainment: Music, Movies, and Books
What to submit for the case:
Cover sheet – listing the name of your case and the full names of all group members
Double space the paper
Use standard size font (12 point) and standard margins (1.0”) on left/right sides.
Please write your paper in outline form using page numbers on the bottom right side
Include a table of contents with page numbers for each section
Optional: an appendix with additional information, graphs, photos, etc.
The paper should be 8+ pages depending on how you write it. If you write it as a term paper from start to finish (no gaps), then it will be at least 8 pages. If you write it in outline form, where each category starts a new page, then your paper can go 15 – 20 pages (because most pages will not be fully written.) You may choose the style that works for your team. Remember, longer and more detailed is ALWAYS better!
Kids Holiday Gifting Strategy
SWOT Analysis of current situation (this can be a chart) but each area MUST be explained
In order to win Holiday, develop a strategy to deliver a compelling assortment and innovative omni-channel shopping experience throughout the entire season. As you consider your strategy, make sure to consider how to drive sales and traffic consistently throughout the season. Your strategy should effectively leverage sales channels (stores/.com/mobile) at various points throughout the season. Use the framework of the 4Ps to brainstorm ideas for how you would approach this challenge as a buyer within one of Target’s Kids’ categories – Product/Assortment; Price; Promotions; Place/Supply Chain. (See Target case for other questions)
You can select a specific category within Kids, if you’d like: (see handout)
Discuss any of the suggested areas to consider – as fits with your proposal – product categories; team; stores; marketing.
Second SWOT Analysis based upon implementation of the proposal. This can be a chart but each area MUST be explained
Financial considerations – rough financial costs/budget for your proposed suggestions