Essay Three Assignment – Creating a Monument/Memorial
In this essay, choose a historical event or individual in the country or your local community that you would want to memorialize through a monument/memorial. In a 3-page paper, present your position for why the chosen event or individual should be memorialized.
In the essay, include:
a. Introduction paragraph that includes a thesis sentence where you
state why you have chosen the event or individual to create a memorial for;
b. Body paragraphs that support your thesis by:
1) following the 5 steps for developing a body paragraph;
2) give background information about the event or individual you are arguing should be remembered;
3) discuss your reasons for choosing this particular event or person (Offer at least THREE reasons for your view)
4) discuss what message you want the memorial to convey to people;
5) support your views with at least TWO outside sources-your sources might
discuss monuments in general and/or give information about your chosen event or individual
c. At least 3 direct quotes from your sources that are cited using MLA format and properly incorporated into the paper;
d. Conclusion paragraph that wraps up your discussion and leaves the
reader with something to think about
e. A Works Cited page following MLA format for your sources.