Development of a strategic plan for Community Health Systems will provide each person with considerable experience in developing a strategic plan. This
assignment, you will be responsible for developing a strategic plan for The Mount Sinai Healthcare systems located in New York. (health care organization.)
You may develop the plan at the corporate, business unit, or functional level. As a general rule, corporate and business unit level plans work best.
In completing the strategic plan, you should include the following components:
1. An analysis of the organization’s external environment and an identification of key strategic issues facing the leadership. You should explain how the
issues logically connect to the external environmental analysis.
2. A list of the organization’s key stakeholders and the relationship of each to the organization (why does each stakeholder have a stake in the organization?).
3. Using the value chain as your guide, list the organization’s primary resources, competencies, and capabilities. Assess each resource, competency, and
capability and identify those that are strategically relevant.
4. Assess your organization’s mission, vision, and values according to the components in your textbook. Make and defend any suggestions you have for
improving these directional strategies.
5. Based on your assessment of the situation (external, internal, mission, vision, values), what strategic actions would you recommend to your organization?
Be careful to defend your recommendations based on your situation analysis.
Your strategic plan should not be any longer than 25 pages including supporting tables, figures, etc. Therefore, freely use bullets, summaries, etc.
Each plan should begin with a brief (no more than 2 page) Executive Summary that summarizes for key decision makers the recommendations you offer in
Please see rubric for additional guidance