NUR-582: FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN NURSING PRACTICE
The final project will lead you through a disciplined business case simulation for an established quality improvement initiative. Using the resource toolkit from Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), Optimizing a Business Case for Safe Health Care, as well as the established IHI Business Case Template, you will develop a business case for the clinical improvement article by Foley et al. about emergency department overcrowding. (See Final Project Materials below.) A grading rubric for the final project can be found in the Evaluation Rubrics folder in Moodle.
FINAL PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS
Final Project Materials
• Foley, M., Kifaieh, N., & Mallon, W. K. (2011, May). Financial impact of emergency department crowding. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 12(2), 192–197.
• Optimizing a Business Case for Safe Health Care: An Integrated Approach to Safety and Finance (Institute for Healthcare Improvement Business Case Template)
1. Login to your Institute for Healthcare Improvement account.
1. Read the Foley article and Optimizing a Business Case for Safe Health Care: An Integrated Approach to Safety and Finance and review the additional supporting IHI resources and documents. Complete the IHI Business Case Template provided using the content provided in the Foley article. Use and modify the template as appropriate and necessary for your final project. Note: You are using the assigned article as your case study (not making up a new one). You will use the fact pattern from the article to develop the business plan.
1. Using the template as a guide, write a paper of 1250 to 1750 words (5 to 7 pages) discussing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for the completed business case. Specifically, explore the financial calculations (hard dollars) and the impact on the organization (soft dollars). Propose how the nursing leader could ensure that the impact on nursing care is identified, understood, and addressed in this improvement project and business case. Discuss the role of the nursing leader in the development of future business cases for quality and safety in your own or another practice setting.
Additional note: Be sure to read the article and fill in the template as you go. You may use bullets, sentences, lists, etc. Keep in mind, the template is not in APA format and must be submitted in addition to the paper – you can place it at the end of the paper (after the references) or submit the template as a separate document. Follow the rubric for additional guidance on grading.