1. Explain the key characteristics of successful destinations.
2. Apply these success criteria to various destination contexts.
3. Propose creative strategies to sustain the long-term success of
You will carry out a destination audit for a destination of your choice by completing the Destination Auditing
toolkit. Your choice should be an individual destination, rather than a country and should be agreed by the
Students should note the following tasks which are to be completed in the destination auditing tool. Your
toolkit has a detailed breakdown of each task. Please note the approximate word count for each task.
1. Overview of the destination (200 words)
2. Details of your overall tourist numbers. Describe one main type of Tourists who are attracted to your
destination (350 words)
3. What are the key Tourism Product themes in your destination? (300 words)
4. Accessibility and supporting products (200 words)
5. Destination Image (200 words)
6. Details of the DMO responsible for tourism in your destination (100 words)
7. Positive impacts of tourism in your destination (350 words)
8. Negative impacts of tourism in your destination (350 words)
9. Suggest two future actions or strategies that will improve the destination. (300 words)
10. Final Conclusion – is your destination successful? (150 words)
For additional guidance on this assignment, please access the assignment vodcast available on Canvas.
Marks will be awarded for the following elements. Please note the percentage of marks to be awarded for
1. Research Skills (30%)
This is a test of your research skills The quality of your sources are important. Please use up-to-date
commentary from academic and industry sources relevant to your chosen destination, to provide the
evidence for your audit.
2. Academic Writing (30%)
You need to focus on the key elements that are suggested that you include in the auditing tool. You should
write in proper paragraphs and your work should flow in academic English. Any discussion should reflect a
balanced view of the important elements within the destination.
3. Creativity and consistency (20%)
It is important to suggest and justify future ideas that show an element of creativity and that are consistent
with your earlier discussions
4. Quality of your references (20%)
You are expected to include approximately 10 -20 references for this assignment. You should provide
references when necessary in making your points and follow exactly the advice given in the UCB referencing