Learners must maintain a reflective journal integrating self-reflection and inquiry demonstrated in the current course – DNP-955A.
Use the following information to ensure the successful completion of the assignment:
• Download the “Reflective Journal Template,” (attached), for submission. Directions provided in the template should be followed because they align with the assignment rubric.
• A minimum of five peer-reviewed references published within the last 5 years is required.
• Learners are required to use the current APA style (7th edition) for their essay writing assignments.
• This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
• You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin for a plagiarism check.
Using a scholarly approach, maintain a reflective journal integrating self-reflection and inquiry demonstrated in the current DNP course.
In your reflection, address how you accomplished these nursing competency essentials:
Essential I: Scientific Underpinnings for Practice
Essential II: Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Improvement and Systems Thinking
Essential III: Clinical Scholarship and Analytical Methods for Evidence-Based Practice
Essential IV. Information Systems/Technology and Patient Care Technology for the Improvement and Transformation of Health Care
Essential V. Health Care Policy for Advocacy in Health Care
Essential VI. Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Patient and Population Health Outcomes
Essential VII. Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Improving the Nation’s Health
Essential VIII. Advanced Nursing Practice
For each competency/domain, use the domain as the Levell 2 heading as in the example.
Course description, objectives, and the resources provided below are not part of the order. They are just to help the writer understand the content and context of the course and help guide the writer’s thoughts around this order.
Learners finalize an issue in health care that will become the basis of an evidence-based research project to be carried out prior to completion of the doctoral program. Learners leave this course with a project goal/topic, a literature review, a proposed methodology, and a clear description of how addressing the issue presented will improve patient care. A project proposal is written in preparation for the Institutional Review Board (IRB) review. Learners are required to plan and document their learning goals and activities using the DPI Project Milestone Guide. Learners also continue work as necessary in the DNP Practice Immersion Workspace to ensure that all programmatic requirements have been met.
Project topic (Quality improvement/practice change project):
Implementation of the United State Department of Health: Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Adults of 90 minutes of moderate physical activity per week in conjunction with current medical regimen practice to impact the systolic and diastolic blood pressures over an 8-week period.
1. Create a project timeline for the Direct Practice Improvement (DPI) Project.
2. Develop the preliminary pages for the DPI Project Manuscript.
3. Develop Chapter 1 of the DPI Project Manuscript –
• Chapter 1: Introduction to the Project (Introduction)
• Background of the Project
• Organizational Needs Assessment
• SWOT Analysis (Subheadings: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats)
• Problem Description
• Definition of Terms
1. Develop Chapter 2 of the DPI Project Manuscript.
2. Explain how scientific evidence in a DPI Project supports a recommendation for practice change.
Chapter 2 – The main headings in Chapter 2 include:
• Chapter 2: Scientific Underpinnings (Introduction)
• Literature Search Strategy
• Synthesis of Literature
• Evidence-Based Practice Question
• Change Recommendation: Validation of [Enter Name of EBP Intervention] • Theoretical Framework (Subheadings: Nursing Theory, Synthesis of Nursing Theory, Evidence-Based Change Model, Synthesis of Change Model)
• Integration of the Christian Worldview
1. Develop Chapter 3 of the DPI Project Manuscript.
As you begin writing the manuscript this week, reflect on your past courses and the interprofessional interactions you have had at the project site. Evaluate the effectiveness of this interprofessional collaboration and how it aids in health equity.
Chapter 3 – The main headings in Chapter 3 include:
• Chapter 3: Project Design and Methodology (Introduction)
• Project Planning and Procedures (Subheadings: Interprofessional Collaboration, Project Management Plan, Feasibility)
• Setting and Sample Population (Subheadings: Setting, Population and Sample)
• Data Collection and Procedures (Subheadings: Instruments or Data Source, Variables, Data Integrity and Storage, Data Management)
• Potential Bias and Mitigation
• Ethical Considerations
1. Integrate previous iterations of the DPI Project Manuscript for the soft submission.
2. Revise previous iterations of the DPI Project Manuscript based on feedback from the Chair.
Describe the primary quantitative literature upon which your DPI Project is based and explain how the scientific evidence supports your recommendation for a practice change.
1. Revise the DPI Project Manuscript: Soft Submission based on feedback from the Chair.
Describe how the outcome for your DPI Project is linked to quality improvement and how it will improve the quality of health care for the patient population.
1. Develop the DPI Project Manuscript: AQR 1 based on feedback from the Chair. Benchmark assignment.
How are you incorporating technology at your site to enhance your project? What technology will you use to gather data and analyze the data?
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
1.1: Integrate nursing science with knowledge from ethics, the biophysical, psychosocial, analytical, and organizational sciences as the basis for the highest level of nursing practice.
1.4: Develop and evaluate new practice approaches based on nursing theories and theories from other disciplines.
2.3: Employ consultative and leadership skills to lead intraprofessional and interprofessional teams in the analysis and resolution of complex practice and organizational issues to create change in health care and complex healthcare delivery systems.
4.3: Cultivate a mindset that is sensitive to the cultural, legal, and ethical differences among stakeholders.
1. Revise the DPI Project Manuscript: AQR 1 based on feedback from the Chair and the Reviewer.
This week’s discussion post asks you to consider what a DPI Project is and how you are incorporating the Christian worldview into the project. As a Christian university, GCU integrates faith, learning, work, and service in an effort to honor God in all that it does and encourages others to join in these endeavors. In what ways does your DPI Project reflect this?
1. Prepare application and documents for IRB submission.
2. Discuss potential barriers to obtaining IRB approval.
Discuss any existing or new barriers (stakeholder, financial/cost, supply chain issues, etc.) you anticipate for obtaining IRB approval at the project site or the GCU IRB. Discuss any existing or new barriers you anticipate for implementing the intervention at the project site. Include your plans to mitigate these barriers.
Articles used to support the project:
1. American Heart Association. (2018, April 18). American Heart Association Recommendations for Physical Activity in Adults and Kids. Www.heart.org. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitnessbasics/aha-recs-for-physical-activity-in-adults. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2018). Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans 2nd edition. https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf
2. Saco‐Ledo, G., Valenzuela, P. L., Ruiz‐Hurtado, G., Ruilope, L. M., & Lucia, A. (2020). Exercise Reduces Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Patients with Hypertension: A Systematic Review and Meta‐Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Journal of the American Heart Association, 9(24). https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.018487
3. Lopes, S., Mesquita-Bastos, J., Garcia, C., Bertoquini, S., Ribau, V., Teixeira, M., Ribeiro, I. P., Melo, J. B., Oliveira, J., Figueiredo, D., Guimarães, G. V., Pescatello, L. S., Polonia, J., Alves, A. J., & Ribeiro, F. (2021). Effect of Exercise Training on Ambulatory Blood Pressure Among Patients With Resistant Hypertension: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA cardiology, 6(11), 1317–1323. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34347008