Required Texts and Resources: There is one required text for this course:
Gapenski, L.C. & Reiter K.L. (2016) 6th Edition Healthcare Finance: An Introduction to Accounting
and Financial Management. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press ISBN-13: 978-1567937411.
The course is designed to:
• Describe elements of financial management and the role of the health care manager.
• Discuss trend analysis and forecasting as management tools.
• Discuss budgets including components of flexible budgets and budget variance analysis.
• Discuss the time value of money and application to managerial decisions.
• Describe financial reports such a balance sheet, statement of revenue and expense and cash flow.
• Discuss applications of ratio analysis and their use in managerial decisions
• Develop ability to compare and select the most financially feasible long-term financing options.
V. Outcome Assessment
PROGRAM LEARNING OBJECTIVES
APPLICABLE TO THIS COURSE
ASSIGNMENTS IN SUPPORT OF THE
1.1 Students will demonstrate professional-level writing
1.2 Students will demonstrate professional-level oral
Presentation of final group papers Grading rubrics for
1.5 Students will demonstrate professional-level teamwork
3.1 Students will verify mastery of key concepts of public
+. The purpose of the project is to provide an opportunity to analyze a “real” healthcare agency’s budget/financial statement using the
tools, methods and concepts covered in the class. The use of Excel spreadsheets for analysis and forecasting, and charts and tables
must be incorporated. It will include a written and oral presentation component, including PowerPoint slides to be presented on the
last two days of class. This paper should be approximately 18-20 pages in length including an APA reference page (See Supplement