You are a marketing executive working for the Body Shop cosmetics brand. The brand wishes to grow its UK market through the development of a new
facial skin care brand for Gen Z male consumers.
Guidance on the word count is indicated for each section below.
Part 1. Case Study – You are to write a case study summarising the current status of Body Shop and technology used in cosmetics sector marketing.
Part 2. Report – You are to write a report recommending relevant marketing strategy for a skin care brand for Gen Z males in the UK market.
A key focus of both will be discussion on how marketing activity and the market is influenced by current technology.
Below is a range of relevant sources to support this assessment. You are also encouraged to undertake your own online research and include your own
sources, such as but not limited to: IBIS World Market reports, Euro Monitor Market reports, news items, social media, company reports.
• Composed (2019) ‘ NATURAL and Sustainable Skincare for Millennials & Gen Z’. March, Available at Natural Sustainable Insights Report – Compose[d] (composedcreative.com) (Accessed 30th September 2021)
• Davis, D. (2020) Retail Is Courting Gen Z, Which Has a Spending Power of $143 Billion (businessinsider.com). 28 January. Available at Retail Is Courting
Gen Z, Which Has a Spending Power of $143 Billion (businessinsider.com) (Accessed 14.04.21)
• Grand View research (2020) ‘Men’s Skincare Products Market Size Industry Report’. May. Available at https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industryanalysis/mens-skincare-products-market (Accessed 30th September 2021)
• In-Cosmetics (2021) How are cosmetic brands innovating in 2021?; 1 April, Available at Cosmetic innovation in 2021 | in-cosmetics Connect (Accessed
30th September 2021)
• Petropoulos, P. , (2021) ‘perfume and Cosmetics Manufacturing in the UK ’. August, IBIS World Industry report (Accessed 30th September 2021)
• Vivaldi Group (2020) Is your brand Ready to take on Gen Z. Available at: Is Your Brand Ready to Take On Gen-Z (pages.services). (Accessed 14.04.21)
Part 1: Case Study – The Body Shop (1,000 words)
Format –the case study must critically evaluate and incorporate the following aspects:
• Brief company overview and mission statement of the Body Shop .
• Evaluate the core offering, of the Body Shop customer ‘’needs and wants, ‘jobs to be done’, and how are these currently satisfied through the
provision of the marketing mix.
• Evaluate to what extent the Body Shop demonstrates a ‘market orientation’
• With reference to the 4.0 and MarTech technologies studied on the module critically evaluate to what extent technology influences the sector’s
marketing approaches and how this links to the delivery of value. (You will be expected to research other cosmetics companies and cite your applied
To demonstrate application of marketing theory, organisational and contextual accuracy, the case study should be supported with referenced evidence
from a range of industry and credible academic sources.
Part 2: Individual Business Report (3,000 words)
Your task is to compile a business report recommending how to market a new brand of skincare cosmetics to the male Gen Z audience.
Main report (all of these sections below should relate to your case study information)
1. Executive Summary – summarise the report in its entirety, including your recommendations. (100 words)
2. Introduction – Outline the context (100 words).
3. Market Trends Analysis – using the sources provided (not limited to) justify the market for the above opportunity; consideration to Gen Z customers,
competition, key market trends. You should provide the name of your new product range at the end of this section. (400 words).
4. Recommendations on Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning (STP) – make recommendations on the STP strategy for the new product you must
reference academic marketing theory to support your discussion. (300 words)
5. Customer Persona Based on the STP discussion and your understanding of the Gen Z customer develop one target customer persona. (Embedded jpg
image including text, not included in word allocation – appropriate and relevant text) This should provide intricate detail about your customer. This
detail is important as your recommendations (marketing mix approaches) must align with this customer’s profile. This should be based on secondary
research utilizing the sources above (not limited to).
6. Recommendations – critical application of the marketing mix tabulate as below. You will complete and include the table below. Critical discussion
demonstrating marketing mix decisions for a value driven marketing strategy identifying how the organisation will engage with this customer
group.This should be underpinned with explanation and reference to marketing theory to justify your recommendations. The final column should not
simply contain a refence, relevant theory should be located and a critical explanation should be provided in support of your marketing
decisions. Gen Z are the most tech savvy generation the marketing mix must consider technological integration to support a great customer experience.
Note elements of the marketing mix may not necessarily require an equal word count, allocation will depend on your recommendations.
Justification – how does this meet Gen Z
customer needs ?
Explain and identify the academic
marketing theory supporting the
7. Customer Journey Mapping –A short section linked to CJM theory demonstrating that you understand the benefits of CJ Mapping applied discussion
CJM theory, benefits, an overview of how your map relates to the academic theory and what it sets out to achieve. (400 words)
8. Detailed Customer Journey Map – Depict the customer journey in accordance with your recommendations. It will consider marketing touchpoints
and should aim to also consider the customer’s ‘cognitive’ journey (these are the questions customers may ask as they move through the purchasing
journey). You could also aim to include the emotional journey – how the customer is feeling.
(Embedded jpg image including appropriate and relevant text) (300 words)
9. References List -To demonstrate application of marketing theory, organisational and contextual accuracy, the case study and report should be
supported with referenced evidence from a range of credible academic and practitioner sources. Harvard style Referencing.