HMNS 2070 Interview Assignment
For this assignment, you will interview either an individual with a disability or a parent/caregiver of an individual with a disability. You will write a 4-5 page report (not including cover page) based on your interview and accompanying research. The paper should include a cover page with the following information:
• Your name, course name, and course section
• Interviewee’s name (you may use a pseudonym or initials)
• Date of interview
The following questions can be used as a guideline to help you focus on the questions you might ask to engage the individual in conversations about his or her experience:
• Ask the person to tell you a little about himself/herself and his or her interests
• What is a typical day like for this individual?
• How does the disability impact the individual? Family impact?
• What type of school and/or employment setting does the individual participate in?
• What type of services does he/she receive?
• What type of assistive technology does the individual use, if any?
• What would they like to tell people about this exceptionality?
• What are the individual’s goals for the future?
These questions are meant to serve as a guideline only. The report should be written in paragraph form, not simply responses to questions. You should connect what you learn in the interview to concepts discussed in class.
In addition to the results of the interview, your paper will include research related to the type of disability exhibited by the individual. You must use a minimum of two sources (e.g., books, journal articles, online database). Online sources must be academic or from a national organization, such as the National Institute of Health. Wikipedia and Web MD may not be used. The paper is to conclude with an in-depth reflection on what you have learned from the experience and how you will use this information in the future. APA format should be used. References page must be included. Please see Blackboard for resources and assistance with APA format.
You will also develop a Powerpoint Presentation based on your interview. The Powerpoint should be a minimum of 10 slides. The Powerpoint will be shared with your classmates on Blackboard. Please keep names and identifying information confidential, unless you have permission from your interviewee to use his or her name and/or picture. The Powerpoint should include information you gathered during the interview, as well as research related to the disability. Please see Blackboard for samples.