Research Report Proposal
Length: 1 and ½ pages, double spaced, one inch margins (approx. 375 words)
1. The purposes of this assignment are so that you and your partner will narrow down your report topic and make some decisions for the focus of the report, and so that I can give you feedback on your plans. You will use the memo format (see page 3 for the template).
*Remember that your topic needs to be related to, and focused on, the social service worker field.
2. For the proposal, write a 1 ½ page response.
Please write in sentences and paragraphs and use the following questions as your guide:
(a) What is the general topic of your research report, and what specific area of this topic will you be looking at? For example, what country will you look at? What province or state? Which demographic?
Topic: social work practice with children of divorced parents
• Canada, ontario
(b) What’s interesting to you and your partner about this topic? What do the two of you know about this topic right now/already? -What’s important about this topic? Why should people know and/or care about it?
• We both interested in the effects divorce may have on children
• Divorce has a huge influence in children’s development, mental health, school performance, etc.
• A lot of families are divorced parents, popular and common right now,
• People should know and care about it because it’s about children and education,
• It’s important to recognize the effects of divorce on a child’s development because it will ultimately shape how they contribute to society/ become members of society.
(c) For the report, you will be finding solutions and making a recommendation at the end. This means you’ll need to think of the topic as a problem or issue to be solved, or something that could be handled more effectively.
• How does your field handle your issue right now? How did they handle it in the past? Is there a specific case that could serve as an example?
What could those working in your field do better? What have they done right that should be copied by others? What are some potentially controversial aspects of your topic?
– Research problem: how divorced parents influence on children’s development
– specific example: divorced parents influence on children’s school performance
-Social workers provide care to the children of those in divorced families by helping them build coping skills. Not only do they help the children, but they also help the parents who are going through a divorce.
-the social service worker do counselling to help the clients and also provide them with any resources that are useful to them
(d) A good way of focusing a research report is to ask significant, high-level questions about your topic.
• Low-level research questions are ones that have answers that are fairly obvious or can easily be discovered through some simple researching—they are more informational than analytical.
• High-level questions are ones that would require more complex answers, involving the analysis of relevant information—they are significant, interesting, and thought-provoking. What are at least three high-quality questions that a person might ask about your specific topic?
• Is there a limit to what social workers can do to help children with divorced parents?
• What are some of the obstacles social workers face in helping children with divorced parents?
• How can social workers help children of divorce rebuild their self-confidence？