Architecture History (ARC 2702) – Term Paper Assignment – Dr. Culver
This assignment will give you an opportunity to propose a topic of research, undertake research, and synthesize a variety of ideas from different sources in the form of a paper that is well written and organized. This term paper is to be completed and submitted to me via email and also submitted to www.turnitn.com by April 1st, 2021. There will be no exceptions. You are required to write at least 1500 words and to follow the format as listed below. Any deviation from these instructions will result in a lower grade.
Font Type: Times New Roman or Arial
Font Size: 12
The term paper will be composed of the following:
3. Body of text
4. Diagrams and Images
5. Bibliography & Footnotes
Please refer to the appropriate sources for creating a bibliography and footnotes. You are required to use the MLA format. I do expect that you reference all your sources whether you have received information from books, periodicals, videos, or the web. Plagiarism will not be tolerated and will result in a failing grade.
Papers must be proofread at the MDC Writing Center and submitted electronically to www.turnitin.com for a grade. Failure to do so will resulting in a failing grade for the project
January 7 Assign Term Paper
February 4 Choose a general research topic & submit the topic to me electronically as a thesis statement. Include 5 bibliographic references
March 4 Investigate your topic graphically through the collage (10% of final Grade)
April 1 Completed Paper
The following is a list of examples for paper topics. You may decide to research a topic of personal interest. Before doing so, please check with me to ensure that the topic itself relates in some fashion to architecture and history. I strongly encourage you to use your creativity in developing a topic of research and in the manner in which you present the information. I also encourage you to include your own sketches, diagrams, and models within the context of this assignment.
1. Examine the works of 3 American architects by comparing and contrasting their philosophies and projects.
2. Compare and contrast 2-3 styles/movement in American Architecture.
3. Examine ways in which regional influences (historical, building methods, materials, etc.) have influenced contemporary design.
4. Examine architecture locally and look at ways in which history has influenced design
5. Issues relating architecture in the US (security, urban sprawl, urban decay, housing, historical preservation, etc)
Building Types & Structures: Using at least three historical examples, trace the development of the following:
1. Religious Buildings – examine development during one or more eras
2. Palaces (Palazzos) & Villas
3. Housing – comparing and contrasting the works of three architects.
5. The High-rise
Urbanism & Landscape Architecture
Furniture & Industrial Design
4. Charles & Ray Eames
1. Architecture & the movies
2. Architecture & literature
3. Architecture & linguistics
Format: 24 x 36 White Paper/Cardstock/Canvass/Plywood
Due Date: March 4
Value: 10% Final Grade
Once you have discovered an area of interest, graphically and visually develop an investigation of the topic. Incorporate images, forms, and organization into your collage that begin to investigate the subject matter from various perspectives. The collage may be fairly conceptual or abstract in its expression. It might also begin to map your train of thought as you begin to delve into the topic. Images, sketches, and even notes may be used in the collage. Your work may also be a combination of mixed media.