Consider the following scenario –You have lost your job and have not been able to find another for a while.
You hear of available jobs in another city and plan to Philadelphia.
**Your resources are *a 10-year-od car that cannot possibly make the trip and needs $900 of repair,
*$600.00 in cash, *one credit card that is at its dollar limit ($1000) and cannot be used, *your personal
belongings (clothing, grooming items, a few household goods like a couple of towels, a few dishes) Also,
you are fairly healthy. You cannot borrow money.Discuss in paragraph form the following real world needs
and concerns. You must do research to CREATE A BUDGET ESTIMATE for travel and a month of living
expenses in your destination city.
1. Plan how you will get to your assigned city (destination cities assigned by Dr. Campbell) and research
REAL expenses including the transportation, food, incidental costs and ground transportation once you
arrive. Choose how you will travel and report costs.
2. Where will you stay? Research costs of lodging and choose one, report costs and any requirements of
the establishment. In addition to identifying the price advertised, estimate how long you will likely stay and
how much that would cost. (It will take you at least a month to get work) You cannot stay with an individual.
3. What will you eat? Check local food prices and estimate how much you can spend daily for food.
4. You owe money on your credit card. What will you do?
5. How will you apply for jobs? You do not have a computer.
6. What will you wear for your job search interviews?
7. How will you get around the city? In other words, what will be your mode of transportation and how much
does it cost?
8. What will you do to relax or for entertainment? How much will that cost?
Every estimate MUST have been researched (not a guess!!) and documented with citations. It all must be
realistic and specific. Name names! Name costs!
9. After writing a discussion of the above concerns, conclude with discussion of your personal reaction to
the research and planning exercise. Also include any concerns that you may have about your situation.***In
essence, your assignment is to “experience” and report (to the extent possible in this class) what it’s like to
really struggle financially.***You will submit a title page, text of the paper and a separate sheet with your
budget estimates adding all the categories and a total for the travel and a month of being in the city. Also
attach a Works Cited page. Write your answers in paragraph form and take care to use proper spelling,
grammar and format.
Be ready to discuss your observations in class (if time allows) and to submit your written work (typed,
double-space, 11 pt Calibri or Times New Roman font, 3/4 margins).
The paper must be a minimum of 3 FULL pages and no more than 5 pages. You MUST include citations,
properly formatted in American Sociological Association style in your paper (that includes the assigned
websites by giving the full addresses you use and not just the general addresses). For websites, properly
cite the source and then hit Return and paste the specific weblink to the information you used.Please
attach a title page with the appropriate information so that you have full sheets available for your essay.
–You cannot borrow money,
You must get to your destination on your own.
You cannot stay with an individual.
You cannot violate law.
You don’t get a job for a month.