Angelo is a 19-year-old man. He lives with his parents and he is an apprentice diesel mechanic.
Encouraged by his family, Angelo presented for assessment at his local hospital. As a nurse, you are
part of the multidisciplinary team responsible for Angelo’s assessment. On admission Angelo appears
withdrawn. His parents report that Angelo’s behaviour has changed gradually over the last 6 months.
He has become moody and uncommunicative and seems to have lost interest in life. Angelo’s
parents also report that in recent weeks he has started talking about his thoughts being controlled by
energy waves emitted by the television. At times he has been overheard talking to himself. His
parents state that Angelo has in the past used cannabis heavily. His work performance has suffered,
and his colleagues have also noticed the changes in Angelo’s mood and behaviour.
Clinical scenario questions
1. During your interview with Angelo, you note that he is not forthcoming with personal
information. What communication techniques would you use to obtain a clinical history.
2. Some aspects of Angelo’s history are suggestive of psychosis. Define psychosis and explain
the primary features of a psychotic presentation. (400 words).
3. A provisional diagnosis of schizophrenia is made, and Angelo is admitted to the mental
health unit for observation and further assessment. Explain the concept of positive and
negative symptoms in schizophrenia treatment. (400 words)
4. Explain the potential role of neurotransmitters in the development of schizophrenia. (400
• Revise your set readings and lectures for weeks 1 to 6.
• Read to assignment question carefully. Identify the key areas you need to address in this
essay. You may use headings based on these key areas to signpost your essay. Ensure you
understand the College of Nursing and Midwifery Assignment Policy and penalties for
• Revise your understanding of plagiarism and how to avoid this form of student misconduct.
Revise CDU-APA Referencing. Go to http://libguides.cdu.edu.au/cdureferencing for help
with referencing. You can submit a draft to the Draft Checking link to obtain a report on
matched text (go to Draft Checking for instructions and advice on interpretation of the text
matching report). You can submit once only to Draft Checking.
• Ensure that your computer and internet connection comply with CDU requirements (see
• If you have technical problems, ring 24-hour Learnline Support for assistance. Keep the
ticket no. for reference. If you have not been able to complete your assignment submission
due to technical problems, contact the Unit Coordinator and quote this number.
• The assignment length is 1600 words (including in-text citations but excluding the reference
list). Penalties apply for being over or under the word limit.
• Signpost each essay as appropriate, Essay 1, Essay 2…etc.
• Use Arial 12-point font.
• An essay structure is required; include an introduction, body and conclusion for each of the
• In-text citations and references are to be presented according to CDU-APA style 7th edition.
The reference list is placed at the end of the fourth short essay.
• Use sources within a 10-year publication range.
• The number of references you cite reflects the breadth of your reading. Include a minimum
• It is the student’s responsibility to ensure correct submission.
• Assignments MUST be submitted via the Learnline system and will not be accepted by any
other mechanism. Your assignment will be graded, and feedback returned online through
My Grades in Learnline.
• Insert your name and student number on the first page and in the filename when you
Marking and Feedback Criteria
Your assignment feedback and grading will be based on the following criteria:
• Understanding of clinical concepts.
• Application of clinical reasoning skills.
• Academic literacy skills – writing style, grammar and spelling.
• Academic integrity skills – accurate use of CDU-APA referencing style.