Each assignment will be accompanied by a properly completed college assessment
Header Sheet. This is attached to your question sheet. The Header Sheet contains the
learning outcomes for that part of the unit and the grading criteria that must be met to
achieve success in the unit. All the group must fill in the group assessment sheet.
Please read these instructions carefully;
• All assignments must have your name on the front sheet.
• All assignments submitted for assessment, must be word processed.
• The assignment should be up to a maximum of 2500 words
Write on your contents page, how many words you have written.
• Hand in your work via turn it in online.
• Your work will be printed on white paper.
• Your font should be either Ariel or Times New Roman. Use font 12 and 1.5 line
spacing with a left hand margin.
• Provide a content page with page numbers.
• You must reference your sources according to Harvard Referencing and include
a reference page, to identify sources you have quoted from. Also a
bibliography listing all the sources you have consulted when writing your
• Hand in the assignment on the specified date and time that was given to you by
your lecturer. If you fail to do so you will fail the assignment.
• If you have copied from another group’s assignment, you will fail and you will
be asked to complete the assignment again.
• Read (proof read) your group assignment once you have printed it off, to
correct any mistakes.
• The group assignment will be submitted turn it in, if you do not you will fail the
assessment. 1. Outline one steering system found on merchant ships.
2. Explain the term “squat” and describe how it is affected by the vessels speed.
3. List the areas that would be discussed in the Master Pilot exchange.
4. Describe with the aid of a sketch the manoeuvre for turning short round in slack
5. Describe with the aid of a sketch how to depart from a berth with the current from
astern when the vessel is port side alongside.
6. Explain with the aid of diagrams the execution of a “Mediterranean Moor.
7. Explain the precautions that to be taken when navigating in a narrow channel.
8. List the factors to consider prior to and during pilot transfer operations.
9. Describe what is meant by the term “beaching a vessel”?
10.Presentation of ONE ship contingency measure to the class.
(10The report must be produced in the correct format (see college guidelines, page 7 of
your course handbook) and be suitably referenced using the Harvard system.
You must include a word count.
You are also required, as per the college’s plagiarism policy, to submit an electronic
copy of your assignment for authentication using the college’s “Turnitin” software.