Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read, watch, or review the following resources:
• Academic Research and Writing: A Guide for the Social Sciences text: Chapter 3.3
• Traits and Skills Theories as the Nexus Between Leadership and Expertise: Reality or Fallacy? (Links to
an external site.) article
• Episode 21 How Situational Leadership Works (Links to an external site.) video
• Trait Theory of Leadership (Links to an external site.) video
• Contingency Theory: Definition and Significance to Organizational Behavior (Links to an external site.)
Review the content requirements for the Leadership Theory Paper in Week 6. Note that one of the key
requirements is to explain the foundational philosophical assumptions and principles of each of the
selected leadership paradigms.
For your assignment, take one of the theories you selected for your Leadership Theory Paper in the Week
2 discussion forum, and complete the following:
• Examine the selected leadership theory’s foundational philosophical assumptions.
• Explain the selected leadership theory’s foundational philosophical principles.e how diversity has shaped these philosophical assumptions and principles.
The Leadership Theory Paper Milestone 2: Assessing Strengths and Limitations
• Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages and
formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA
Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
• Must include a separate title pages with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Ashford University
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
• Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional
• Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a
clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
o For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a
Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
• Must use at least four scholarly sources in addition to the Academic Research and Writing: A Guide for
the Social Sciences course text.
o The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers
additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is
appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the
appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
o To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library
Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the
research process, and provides some library search tips.
• Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA:
Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
• Must include a separate references pages that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the
Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the
Writing Center for specifications.
You are encouraged to submit a draft of this written assignment to the Writing Center Paper Review (Links
to an external site.) for feedback to become familiar with this resource prior to submitting a draft of your
final paper in Week 5. At the doctoral level, you should become accustomed to developing multiple drafts
before submitting a complete paper to your instructor.
The Writing Center’s paper review option will be a great guide in this continuous improvement process. If
you choose to make use of the Writing Center’s paper review service, submit a draft of this written
assignment by Day 3 of Week 3 so you that you have time to make changes and submit a completed paper
to your instructor on Day 7.
As you prepare this written assignment for the course, please keep in mind that a successful final draft of
any written assignment should be the product of brainstorming, outlining, and writing multiple drafts. Many
of the assignments in this course are building blocks toward the final Leadership Theory paper, but it is
important to keep in mind that you will need to continually revise your work using the feedback from your
instructor as well as the Writing Center as you use these pieces to develop the final draft.