Research Analysis: Stage 1 – Annotated Bibliography
This week you will select a topic for your analysis paper and locate 5 empirical research articles that relate to your topic.
In your research analysis paper (due in Module 8), you will select one specific issue, question, topic, problem, or concern of interest to you (as it pertains to family care for substance abuse and/or addiction), and then build your paper around this topic. The research analysis provides an integrative review of current research; you should go beyond simply explaining your topic to highlight how recent research informs the topic.
The framework of your analysis will be assessed on your coverage of:
• Breadth of Knowledge: Apply a well-rounded and comprehensive knowledge of general education topics including psychology, sociology, American history, physical science, mathematics, communications, statistics, as those disciplines apply to increased efficacy in addiction studies.
• Theoretical Frameworks: Synthesize the basic theories and contemporary issues in psychology and addiction studies into a personalized style of practice
• Ethical, Legal, and Strategic Case Management: Evaluate and implement methods of patient assessment, development, and rights within a legal, ethical, and strategic framework.
• Competent Communication: Competently assess, interpret, and communicate mental healthcare information using oral, written, and electronic methods.
You will build your research analysis in three stages over the remainder of the course:
• Stage 1: Select topic and locate 5 relevant empirical research articles.
This week you ONLY focus on Stage 1; you must select a topic and locate relevant empirical research articles.
Empirical research articles must be:
• Present original research
• Published in scientific journals
• Published in the last 5 years
For more information on what constitutes an empirical research article, see:
Assignment Expectations: Create a Microsoft Word document that includes a three-column table for your annotated bibliography. Use two of the three annotations (Summary and Reflection) shown at the OWL APA website.
• At the top of the paper: identify your topic in a single sentence
• Inside the table
o Column 1: list the APA style reference for each of the 5 empirical articles
o Column 2: write a 100-word (or more) summary of each article
o Column 3: write a 100-word (or more) reflection on why each article is important to your research analysis paper