The Essay Question
Choose any two articles we have read so far. Then write an essay that responds to the
• What did you like about these readings?
• How can they be applied to our project?
• Did they have any limitations that we would need to be concerned about?
• If so, how could we address those limitations?
• The total length of your essay should be about 4 pages.
• It must be have your name on the first page and include page numbers.
• Use academic formatting. That means double-spacing; indented paragraphs; no extra
space between paragraphs.
• Construct your paper as an essay, not a series of questions and answers.
General Guidelines for Writing Essays
• Start with an introductory paragraph that summarizes your argument or framework, and
identifies the two articles that will be discussed.
• In the body of your essay, expand on this argument, describing each piece or subargument in turn.
• Support each of your points with evidence. Evidence may include short quotes or
descriptions of the author’s work. Avoid long quotes.
• Assume that the reader is already familiar with the work of the authors. Do not summarize
the readings at length! Short summaries are OK if they are used as evidence for your
• An essay that is just a string of quotes is not a strong paper. Your voice should dominate in
• Both the in-text citations and the list of references at the end should follow the Chicago
Manual of Style, Author-Date System.