complete a current events evaluation. You will need to select an article from a newspaper or a news
magazine (i.e. Life or Time) story that emphasizes and can support one of the topics we have covered in
chapters 1 – 5. You need to pick a tourism issue that you have some strong feelings about that is
associated to a topic covered in the first unit:
This article can be an actual story of an event that took place, or it can be an editorial (someone’s opinion).
This article needs to have been written in the last 6 months.
Chapter 1 The Federal Government and the Tourism Industry
Chapter 2 Motivation for Leisure Tourism
Chapter 3 Tourism Marketing
Chapter 4 Trends and the Economic Impact of Travel and Tourism on the U.S.
Chapter 5 Tourism Policy and Organizations
HINT: SEE RUBRIC FOR OUTLINE
*You will submit a proposal for your paper AND a copy of your article.
Format for the proposal:
1. Include all class information in center of page (Name, class, etc…)3-4 sentences proposing the angle of your essay
3. In those sentences you must include your personal position on your issue (you may disagree with the
article or the factors discussed in the article)
4. Also list possible/potential outside sources to support your position
1. Length – 2 – 3 pages
2. Typed – double space, 12 point font, 1 inch margins
3. Title page (not included in the page requirement) with class information and creative title
4. Works Cited/references page with at least 4 additional sources to support your position (must include
your article as one source so you will have a possible total of 5 sources)
5. Pagination that starts on first body page and ends on the Works Cited page
6. At least 2 direct quotes (embedded) throughout your paper
7. Proper citations of all information used from your support materials –using APA format
8. A strong communication of your idea!!! Really prove why this issue is important to the customer service
in the respective industry.
9. Be sure to use elevated language and sentence structure -take pride in your work.
10. Proofread!! The expectation is little to no grammatical errors or typos.
News Sources (not all inclusive)
• (New York Times – newspaper) www.nytimes.com
• (Washington Times – newspaper) www.washingtontimes.com
•(Washington Post – newspaper) www.washingtonpost.com
• (Los Angeles Times – newspaper) www.latimes.com
• (NBC – broadcast T.V. news and its various entities) www.msnbc.com
• (CNN – cable T.V. news) www.cnn.com
•(U.S. News & World Report – magazine) www.usnews.com
• (Fox – cable T.V. news) www.foxnews.com
• (ABC – broadcast T.V. news) www.abcnews.go.com
• (CBS – broadcast T.V. news) www.cbsnews.com
• (Wall Street Journal-newspaper) http://online.wsj.com/home-page
• Time Magazine) http://www.time.com/time
• (Reuters News Service) http://www.reuters.com
• Associated Press News Service)http://www.ap.org
• (Bloomberg News Report) http://www.bloomberg.com