Objective: To survey cultural foods in a local small-scale market and to compare those findings with the ethnic
food forms in a supermarket and to write a report on the findings with and this experience.
Suggested Areas – Where to Go:
Choose on shopping area that is generally recognized as ethnically rich for example:
• Bronx: Arthur Avenue, around 187th street (Italian)
• Manhattan East Harlem around Lexington Ave and 100-116th Street (Hispanic)
• Manhattan Chinatown: around the intersection of Mott Street and Canal Street (Chinese)
• Brooklyn Atlantic Avenue between Court and Clinton Street (Middle Eastern)
• Brooklyn Brighten Beach Avenue between Ocean Pkwy and Ocean Avenue (Russian)
• Queens: Main Street in Flushing (Chinese)
• Queens Jackson Heights: Indian – not sure of the intersection• Yonkers: Mclean Ave – 5 blocks off the throughway (Irish)
You should explore areas that are different from your own culture
If you have other ideas then the ones listed above – please let me know so I can add them to the list for future
Go to the neighborhood you choose and visit (many not one) the following types of shops:
• Greengrocer (produce market)
• Bakery (bread rolls – cakes, cookies)
• Delicatessen or store that has at least two of the following
• Fish shop, meat shop. Pasta shop, cheese shop pastry shop
• OR ANY OTHER stores they may have!
Explore the food shops and restaurants.
• What kinds of food stores are there?
• What types of foods are sold?
• What types of foods are served in the restaurants?
• What kinds of foods are completely new to you?
• Taste something new to you, preferably at each store; describe the appearance, texture and flavor etc.
• Talk to the merchants and ask them about their traditional stores and foods.
• What are your feelings about the foods and about shopping in this environment?
• Did you see foods that were discussed in class?
• Are the prices worth the trip? Were they more or less expensive then you thought or compared to other
Now go to a large supermarket in your neighborhood and find examples of foods that parallel the ethnic cuisine
that you’ve chosen to investigate. What are the differences in the experience of buying culturally rich foods in
a supermarket? What are the price differences in foods purchased at the ethnic stores and the supermarket?
Which experience and source do you feel is more valuable and why?
Get one traditional recipe from this culture and conduct a nutritional analysis on it. Discuss if it is a healthy
choice or not
What could you do to change it.
This report should be typed double spaced at least 3-4 pages long and include 4 price comparison of the same
foods sold at an ethnic market and a supermarket. It should include the names and addresses of the stores
that you visited. Cite all your sources using MLA.
You can choose to go to another area – but please confirm with me before you go.