Summary of the Assignment:
• Task: In this paper, you will write a document that provides information that an external audience can use
to inform a decision.
We have read various white papers in the class this semester. White papers can be any one of the
o technical papers
o business benefit papers
o advocacy papers
o hybrid technical/business papers
The CANRIGHT document that is provided in the class in LEO describes all four of these types of white
• Length: 1200-1600 words
• Graphics: at least three graphics, two of which have to be original
• Format in Citing and Listing Sources: APA
• Number and Sources: at least five sources, at least one of which has to be obtained
Brief Description of the White Paper:
In preparing for this assignment, you will want to review the following video:
“White Papers: An Introduction to the Genre and Its Expectations,” from the Purdue OWL You may take
any of the following approaches:
• a general white paper to an external audience – written to individuals in a particular industry or field of
study, but not an organization you are a part of. The white paper could address a problem you are
attempting to solve in the organization or to inform an external audience about a relevant trend.
• a white paper promoting a new product or service to potential customers. This is an example of a white
paper to an external audience, but it features different rhetorical considerations than the typical white paper
written to an external audience does.
Both options are discussed in the Purdue OWL video mentioned above.
Please note: You will not be writing a white paper to your boss or to superiors in the company for which you
work. That type of paper would be an internal white paper
Full instructions are posted….