2 readings selections. For each of those two readings,
• write 2 paragraph summary.
• write 2 paragraph response.
• First present the 2 paragraph summary and the 2 paragraph response for “Good applicants with bad
grammar”. Then, present the 2 paragraph summary and the 2 paragraph response for “It’s not just
grammar: It’s clear thinking”.
• Review summary-response paper example.
Sources and Documentation
• Do not need to include formal citations. However, you should demonstrate basic attribution. This means
you should reference the article titles and authors in your summary-response. For example:
In the reading selection, “Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Work,” Jean Anyon discusses how
American schools are set up to fully educate students from upper-class backgrounds and to give a limited
education to students from lower-class backgrounds.
Format and Length
• Your paper should be typed, double-spaced and in 11 or 12-point font.
• Your summary and response for each of the reading selections should be a minimum of two paragraphs
(about 450-500 words) in length. This means that your total document will be 6-8 paragraphs (about 900-
1000 words) in length.
• Review Summarizing and Responding to Readings for a sample summary-response paper.
McWhorter, J. (2012, August 13). Good applicants with bad grammar. New York Times.
Rushkoff, D. (2013, January 30). It’s not just grammar: It’s clear thinking. New York Times.