For this assignment, you will annotate an article, a copy of which is pasted below. There are three steps involved. Please read the instructions and follow each step carefully. Before proceeding, turn on Track Changes under the Review tab in Word. Be sure your Track Changes shows All Markup not just a Simple Markup.
Step 1: Predict and preview
After reading the title and glancing over the text, what do you think the text will be about? What do you understand about the text from the title? What do you know already about this topic? What questions do you have about the text? Type your response to the preview questions here:
Step 2: Read, summarize, and annotate
As you read the article, use the Track Changes function to annotate the text below as follows:
• Summarize. Double-click the last word of a paragraph, and then click the New Comment button under the Review tab to add a comment box. Type your one sentence summary (paraphrase) of the paragraph in the box. Summarize every paragraph in the essay. Group short paragraphs of the same topic together for summarizing.
• Define Vocabulary. Double-click any word you do not understand, click New Comment, and provide a definition. Dictionary.com is a good and quick resource for this. NOTE: Only put the definition for the word in its exact context here (not all the definitions).
• Annotate. Use the functions in Microsoft Word to highlight sections or words and underline sentences or sections that are important, just like you would if you were annotating a hard copy of the essay. Use the following key to annotate your text:
Highlight the main ideas of paragraphs, including the thesis
Underline supporting details or interesting quotes/facts/ideas
Bold any counterarguments.
Step Three: Answering questions about the text
After you have finished reading and annotating the text, return to this step and answer the following questions. Type your responses directly beneath each question.
1. Why, according to Quart, has teaching “always been a poorly paid profession”?
2. According to Quart, what is the problem with Uber defining its drivers as “independent contractors”?
3. According to the article, what are the primary reasons for so many teachers taking positions as Uber drivers?
4. What is your response to this reading? What did the article add to your knowledge or understanding of this topic?