Write a personal narrative exploring your relationship with gender, sexuality, race and/or feminism (identity and/or politics).
1) Although it is a personal narrative, it is important that you include analysis.
2) In order to facilitate the inclusion of sufficient analysis, be sure you can find a clear and focused main point (thesis statement) in your own and others’ papers.
3) One way to accomplish this goal is to choose a specific experience to describe and then analyze in the context of its relationship to your identity.
4) One thing to be careful of is to avoid being too broad – you cannot cover your entire life or identity in a relatively short paper!!!
5) Even though the assignment is to write narrative, storytelling should not take up more than half the paper.
6) As with any other essay, it should be concise, organized, and well-written.
7) Please edit your own work before submitting.
8) The paper should be 2-3 pp. long, typed, double-spaced, 12 point font. You do not need a title page (although you do need a title) – simply put your name and course time at the top.
9) Paper is Due October 8th
1 2 3 4 5 Clear, focused, analytic main point
1 2 3 4 5 Engaging and significant narrative; relevant to important class topics
1 2 3 4 5 Sufficient and specific evidence; well developed
1 2 3 4 5 Organization — in this, the narrative and analytic sections should
be nicely integrated
1 2 3 4 5 Clearly written