LAB PROJECT: SURVEY ADMINISTRATION AND DATA FILE ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
The purpose of this assignment is to learn how to administer surveys either in person or online, and to create an SPSS data file containing your survey data. Surveys are one of the most frequently used methods of data collection in the social sciences. Understanding how they are conducted and scored is a useful skill set in many graduate and career settings.
• Download and administer the Lab Project Survey Template to at least 12 people, either online or in-person. Allow yourself plenty of time to complete this step. Note: The only precondition to participating in the survey is that participants must be at least 15 years old. It is important to emphasize that the results of the survey are anonymous by pointing out the instructions at the top of the survey. The survey is limited to 5 questions. Do not add or remove any questions when administering the survey.
• After collecting your surveys, create a new SPSS data file with six total variables: “Q1”, “Q2”, “Q3”, “Q4”, “Happiness”, and “Attendance”.
• Choose one completed survey to start with. In row 1 of your data file, enter the numeric answers given for each of Questions 1-4 in the first four columns. Compute the mean (average) of these 4 answers and enter it in the “Happiness” variable column, including up to 2 decimal points. Finally, in the “Attendance” variable column, enter the number given for the last question regarding church attendance.
• Repeat this process for each survey, placing each new survey in a new row. An example is given below with data from two hypothetical surveys:
• Submit this SPSS data file as the finished product.
• Please review the Lab Project: Survey Administration and Data File Grading Rubric and the Watch: Lab Project Survey Administration and Data File to support your work. Also, remember that asking questions contributes to learning and success, so please contact your instructor should you have any questions related to the assignment.