In a 4-page paper, you will identify and talk about the following social issues illustrated in each piece of work. Use at least one quote to support your finding.
• I Hear America Singing (1900) By Walt Whitman
• I, Too, Sing America (1925) By Langston Hughes
• Dreaming America (1975) By Joyce Carol Oates
• This is America (2018) By Childish Gambino – (watch video and read lyrics)
• American Oxygen (2017) by Rihanna – (watch video and read lyrics)
Identify the attitude or tone of the artist/author. What do they think? What are they saying about the nature of living in America, about being American? About the nature of the American dream, does it exist? Is it different for different reason or for different ethnic groups?
Ex: you can talk about the struggles of Black men in America, which is what Childish Gambino sings about in his song.
Use the poems and videos to identify any negative tones but use your own words to elaborate on the past and current situations. Also, keep in mind they do not all talk only about race issues.
Works Cited – DO NOT PLAGARIZE! Give credit to the authors
Use at least one quote
All works are attached expect for Rihanna’s (please look up the video and lyrics for this one)