Choose cases below for your report and include the following:
• A thorough understanding of the topic
• A critical assessment of all questions
• At least two differential diagnoses, if applicable
• At least two pharmacologic treatment modalities, if applicable
• A well-developed treatment plan
• A thorough patient education plan
Your paper must be 5–6 pages in length not including the title and reference pages. You must reference a
minimum of two scholarly sources in your paper.
Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources. Your source(s) should be integrated into
the paragraphs. Use internal citations pointing to evidence in the literature and supporting your ideas.
Case Study Option #2: STI Maria is a 46-year-old Hispanic female who comes to your clinic complaining of
a lesion in her vaginal area that she recently noticed while bathing. Maria came to the U.S. from Mexico over
10 years ago but her husband was not able to join her until just two months ago. Maria reports she abstained
from sexual activity during the years she was separated from her husband and is not aware of any sexual
activity on the part of her husband. Maria and her husband have been sexually active since his arrival in the
U.S. two months ago. Maria reports she has not been to a health care provider while in the United States
because she has no insurance coverage. She has no medical records and has not had any screenings or wellwoman exam visits for over a decade. Maria has three healthy, grown children all delivered vaginally without
pregnancy or delivery complications. Her mother is 62, lives in Mexico, and suffers from diabetes and
hypertension. Her father died from colon cancer at age 55. Maria’s LMP was one week ago and all of her VS
are WNL. Upon PE, you note a lesion on the left labia minora that has the appearance of a chancre and you
note that it is not painful to Maria when touched.
1. What are your presumptive and differential diagnoses?
2. What screening and/or diagnostic tests will you perform/order to ascertain the correct diagnosis and what
current screenings will you recommend in adherence to evidencebased guidelines?
3. What is the pathophysiology? Describe all stages, modes of transmission, any incubation periods.
4. What are the evidence-based treatment guidelines for this diagnosis? 5. How will you explain this
diagnosis and plan of care to Maria?