• What is the problem that is being addressed? (the topic)
• Importance of statistics, policy etc (you cannot have a research problem without
literature indicating an issue) – demonstrate the importance of the issue
• What is the existing research literature around the issue?
• What type of research has been done on the topic?
• What argument are you making with this literature (i.e. what are the gaps)?
3. Research question/aim/hypothesis
• Depends on the nature of the study – you can have an aim instead of a question
• May work with models of designing a question (e.g.PEO,PICO)
• Objectives break down your question into different areas you want to find out
4. Methodology and methods
• The approach and design of the research
• Setting, sample, recruitment (if applicable)
• Methods (tools for collecting the data) – including analysis
5. Ethical issues
• If applicable – what ethical issues are there in the research how will these
• Ethical approval – where will you gain this from?
6. Project timeline
• Create a realistic timeline for the stages in your project
• E.g. apply for ethics, in-depth review of the literature, recruit, collect
data/get papers (for SR), conduct analysis, write up research etc.
Attached my grade i got and comments from my prof. for my protocol..Hope to improve the grade with less