MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING PAPER:
LO 1.1 This assignment will delve deeper into the technique of motivational interviewing. You will discuss motivational interviewing and what it is. The paper will then explore different ways that this is applied in the field. This APA style paper should be 3 pages in length. It should include a title page, running head, discussion and reference page. You are required to have 3 sources that are academic peer reviewed journal articles.
After completing this chapter, you will be able to
1. Recognize, in writing, using dialogue from a counseling
supervision session, one example each of the need for
developing the core helper skills of: (a) self-awareness and
self-reflection; (b) mindfulness; and (c) self-care and self compassion. You also will be able to identify one specific activity
for developing each of these three skills to promote stamina and
resilience as a professional helper.
2. Define evidence-based practice (EBP) from a list of descriptors
provided (what it is and what it is not), identify two of its intended benefits and at least two of its criticisms, and identify at
least six methods for adapting EBPs for culturally diverse
1. What is it about the helping profession (e.g., social
work, counseling, psychology) that is attractive to you
or enticing for you?
2. What do you look forward to learning and doing over
the next 5 years?
3. What is anxiety-provoking to you about the work or
lifestyle of a professional helper?
4. What are you cautious or hesitant about as you continue in the profession?
5. If you had to select one event in your life or one personal experience that contributed to your decision to
pursue the helping profession you are now in, what
would that event or experience be?
6. What have you learned about yourself by having experienced tragedy, trauma, or types of personal pain and
injustices at some point in your life? What more do you
still have to learn about yourself as a result of such pain?
7. Which of your personal qualities do you believe will
serve you well as a helping professional? Why do you
8. What aspects of yourself (e.g., being “rough around
the edges”) do you still need to work on for you to be a
helpful practitioner? How do you see yourself addressing these traits?
9. How do you handle being in conflict? Being confronted? Being evaluated? What defenses do you use
in these situations?
10. How would someone who knows you well describe
your style of helping or caring?
11. What client populations or client issues do you enjoy
working with or look forward to working with? For
12. What client populations or client issues are difficult for
you to work with or do you foresee as being difficult for
you to work with? For what reasons?
13. What are three primary factors that contribute to being
an effective helper?
14. How will you know when you have been an effective