1) Answer any THREE of the questions listed below. The three question response posts must have a minimum of 200 words each and must directly quote and properly cite (using MLA format) from the assigned textbook readings. I expect substantive and scholarly posts which evince an understanding of the complex chapter readings. Failure to meet the above criteria will result in a point deduction.
2) Post TWO substantive responses to other students’ posts. The response posts must be between 100 and 150 words each. NOTE: The goal of the discussion board is not simply to say “I agree with you” and add a short sentence or two, but rather to carry the discussion forward by asking follow up questions or expanding on key course concepts so as to engage in a meaningful and constructive dialogue with fellow students.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SUBMIT 5 SEPARATE POSTS: DO NOT ANSWER MORE THAN ONE QUESTION IN A SINGLE POST.
NOTE: NO LATE DISCUSSION POSTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Ch. 1: Plato
1) What does the Ring of Gyges’ myth say about human nature? Do you agree or disagree, and why?
2) What is the relationship between moderation and justice according to Socrates in the Republic? Is Socrates correct in suggesting that the moderate man will by necessity be a just man? Explain, and feel free to use examples drawn from your own experience.
3) Briefly summarize Socrates’ refutation of vulgar hedonism in the Gorgias. Do you find his arguments persuasive? Why or why not?
Ch. 2: Epicurus
4) According to Epicurus, what incentive or motive do people have to obey the laws and behave justly toward one another? Do you agree with Epicurus on this issue? Why or why not?
Ch. 3: Marcus Aurelius
5) ” Choose not to be harmed—and you won’t feel harmed.
Don’t feel harmed—and you haven’t been.” Explain Marcus Aurelius’ meaning in these lines. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
Ch. 4: St. Augustine
6) According to St. Augustine, is it possible to achieve true happiness by focusing on our body only? Why or why not? Do you agree or disagree, and why?
NO LATE DB POSTS ACCEPTED.