Unit IV Assignment Format for CHM131
Do not use direct quotes! Paraphrase; use your own words throughout! Any direct copying/pasting will be treated as plagiarism. Any paragraph without appropriate in-text citation will be treated as plagiarism.
Liquids and Solids (Phase diagrams. Intermolecular forces. Types of solids.)
• Search, copy, and paste (use appropriate citation for the electronic source) an example of a phase diagram for water. Alternatively, you may hand-draw and label the diagram. Specify what the phase diagram can be used for.
• List the intermolecular forces and give a definition of each.
• Be sure to use correct figure caption; consult APA guidelines. Click here for various examples of properly captioned figures in APA 7 style.
Properties of Solutions (The solution process. Expressing solution concentrations. Osmotic pressure. Colligative properties.)
• Define, give equation, and one example of a problem (your own example, with given quantities to 3 decimal places, with a variety of digits, for example: use 3.907 g. but not 4.000 g) for molality, molarity, and mole fraction.
(Acceptable example of a problem: “What is the molality of a solution consisting of 17.030 grams of Ca(NO3)2 in 325.7 grams of water?”)
• List all colligative properties and give a definition of each property.
Format and Style:
• APA style must be followed throughout (see the Purdue Owl Website for specifics of the APA format).
• Margins: 1’ on each side; font: 12-pt Times or Times New Roman; spacing: double.
• Include your name, course/section number, my name, and a title (Writing Assignment for Chemistry 131).
Use the following headings:
Phase diagrams, as described by ….…… (Are used for what? What do they show?). Show an example of a phase diagram of water; explain what it illustrates; use appropriate figure caption and citation. Use in-text citations!
Units of Concentration
According to ……, concentration of a solution can be expressed using …. (List molality, molarity, etc.). Use in-text citations!
• Molarity, M, as seen in ………., is defined as …..
(Show equation below, then state the problem for molarity. The examples must be your own; do not plagiarize!)
• Molality, m, ……
• Mole fraction, c, …
What are colligative properties? List each one and give definition. (Use in-text citations.)
Be sure to follow the APA style throughout your paper. Use the Writing Center if you need assistance with your paper. You may also schedule an online appointment with a tutor who will help you with your paper.
Do not use sites such as www.dictionary.com or www.Wikipedia.com , etc. as “sources.”