Be prepared to write a short essay in response to the following prompts. You will answer each question
separate from each other. Each of the essay questions will contain a brief introductory paragraph and a
articulated thesis statement, two to three well-supported body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The essay will
also include concrete evidence from the required readings that I have attached. You will need to use the
correct reading for each question.
1. Evaluate the use of the gridiron as a planning tool in three distinct cities. In your analysis, consider how
elements such as politics and economics influenced the
use of the grid.
2. How did the process of industrialization change the experience of life in cities?
How did inequalities due to the emerging industrial economy affect political
conflict in urban areas?
3. How did these changes influence the rise of urban reform movements and the
city planning profession?
4. Compare and contrast the 19th century approaches of Haussmann and Cerda in
preparing plans to redesign Paris and Barcelona, respectively. In your analysis,
consider elements such as physical design, political motivations and economic
5. Discuss Camillo Sitte’s reaction against modern urban engineering and ring
planning? What aspects of city planning did he hope to preserve by considering
the aesthetic elements of the urban landscape?
6. Compare the physical, economic and social concepts behind Ebenezer Howard’s
“Garden City” model and Daniel Burnham’s 1909 Plan for Chicago. How have
each model had an influence on the planning of major cities?
7. Why did Daniel Burnham’s 1909 plan for Chicago neglect to address the issue of housing in the city?